The wild and magical ride of bringing new munchkins into our world.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

One Family Meal

Homemade baby food can be the very same food that you feed the rest of your family. I like to cook extra of whatever I'm making for Brad and I and then puree the leftovers for Boedy. Here's a great slow cooker recipe (BONUS!) that I tried for the first time last week (I had forgotten how great pork and apples taste together)...

TIP: I added a bit of apple sauce to the pureed mixture and Boedy gobbled it up.

BONELESS PORK CHOPS with APPLES, ONIONS and SAGE
(source: Everyone Can Cook Slow Cooker Meals by Eric Akis)

3 medium apples, peeled, halved, cored and sliced
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
2 tsp dried sage leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
Eight 3 oz boneless pork loin chops
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice

Combine the apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss in the onions, sage and salt and pepper. Spoon half the mixture into your slow cooker.

Place the oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper, then dredge it in the flour, shaking off any excess. Brown the pork chops on both sides. Set the pork chops on top of the apple/onion mixture in your slow cooker. Top the chops with the remaining apple/onion mixture in the bowl. Pour the stock and apple juice into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6-7 hours (I cooked mine for 6 hours), or until the pork is tender.

TIP: I added new potatoes to the slow cooker at the 5.5 hour mark. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment